Friday 30 September 2016

My Road trip from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique to Malawi.

PART 1


There’s nothing I love to do more than exploring. Whenever I get a chance to unwind, I cherish the opportunity to discover Mama Africa.


Back in May, I planned on jetting through Kenya, Tanzania and stop in Mozambique before returning home to Uganda all in three weeks. However, life is what happens when you make plans. You never know what you’ll find on the road, and I was blessed to extend my time by experiencing some amazing sights, sounds, and people I met along the way



Just about to set off.


2016 was the first year I had the pleasure of discovering Kenya. I have always postponed an opportunity to go there because it was so close to home, but this was the year I decided to visit. I had to get my Mozambican visa from Nairobi. I left Kampala at 5 pm and reached Nairobi a day later. The ride was pleasant. Nairobi is quite modern compared to Kampala. They have nice structures, nice roads and it seems bigger and more vast in every way. I noticed they also have a number junk food restaurants, some of them American. I had my first delicious Subway sandwich there and it was too yummy! We need a Subway chain in Kampala!


The city is way too busy. At times it was too much! I couldn’t take it—the noise, cars, and people. I had never experienced the drivers and motorbike riders in this country. They always rushed to get somewhere too soon. I almost tripped when I got into a bus. The driver started driving immediately and I lost my balance before I could find a seat. I was very cautious in the city since I had heard many stories of people being robbed on the streets, but that was not my experience. People were kind and helpful to me. I did not do much here, only visiting the famous slums of Kibera. It is so big and dirty—as expected. But amongst the poverty there were people trying to make a living.
I could not wait to get out of this city after getting my visa because it is expensive compared to what I am used to.
My delicious subway

Panorama view of Kibera slum

Colorful buses in Nairobi.


The following morning I bused to Mombasa. This was a complete nightmare! The road was long and beaten. The weather was hot in a crowded bus, and the driver a speed demon. The journey took about 10 hours, two hours longer than usual. When we got to Mombasa, I was excited because it was a bit more calmer than Nairobi, the vibe was good. I like old buildings and I love beaches, this was the right place to be. I spent three days here sightseeing; I visited Diani beach and Fort Jesus. The street food here is worth a try. The people here were mostly Muslim with a mix of Arabs hence giving you the right reason to try some Swahili food.

Diani beach is a gorgeous area with milk white sand and blue seas. The day I was there, there was only about five beach bums! Check it out when you’re in Mombasa!

Strolling through Mombasa's old town.

With my girl Angella.

Fort Jesus

My bedroom and balcony view.

Sharing a smile with a Camel at Diani beach.

Diani beach.


My next destination from here was Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The bus ride was easy and the driver was so good. I used Tahmeed coaches. The A/C was working in this bus at least and the driver’s speed was bearable. I got into Dar after a ten-hour commute, and it was at this time that I experienced a famous Dar Es Salaam traffic jam. Insane!

Although I didn’t spend a long time here, I did experience some sights with a friend who was hosting me. I visited two wonderful churches in Dar. The Azania Front Lutheran church offers a majestic view of the city from the top of the cross, while St Joseph's Cathedral (built by German missionaries in 1897 to 1902) is a beautiful and colorful place of worship.

I paid visit to the national museum and house of culture opened in 1940 as memorial of King George V. If you are interested in Tanzania's past and history, this is the place to go to discover a rich history.

I went to see the Askari Monument which commemorates the African troops who fought as carrier cops in the first world war. The last thing I saw was the fish market, at first I was not sure I wanted to go but it was fascinating. Seeing different kinds of fish from the sea and people getting around with their business was nice to see. I was here for about 40 minutes. The fishy smell drove me out!



The National Museum.

St Joseph's Cathedral

Azania Front Lutheran Church

The fish market.


I left Dar es Salam after two nights and headed south of the country to a town called Mtwara. This small town was where I had to cross from in order to enter Mozambique. I spent one night in Mwtara and used a motorbike (piki piki) to get me to the Kilambo boarder immigration offices the next morning. The rider who took me was a nice young man who rode carefully despite of the bad roads. He had been told by a money changer to make sure I got to the boat safely because I am a girl and a visitor. People were really nice and welcoming! Tanzania showed me nothing but kindness on this trip.



2 comments:

  1. Heya, great post. I'm specifically curious about budget only in terms of accommodation and transport, while in TZ and Mozambique. Thaanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,thanks for reading. While was in TZ i used couch surfing, but it depends, do you need accommodation by the coastline? I have written a new blog about Mozambique, will publish it tomorrow. If you don't find what you need, please email me :).

      Delete